Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Client Matters: The Inevitable No Show

One of the down sides to being a solo is the specter of prospective clients who schedule an interview and never show up.  No matter how serious someone sounds over the phone, you just never know whether they will actually show up until they walk through the door.  Worse is the fact that few, if any prospects ever call to cancel their appointment.  Well, one out of four isn't too bad, I guess.

But it doesn't pay to be irrate or hold a grudge.  It's bad for your professional image and bad for business.  And in the case of today's no show, the fact that the streets near my office were closed due to a parade in the downtown area makes for a pretty good excuse.  

With no shows, you never know the reasons why they don't show up.  But, just because they didn't walk in through the door today does not mean that they won't tomorrow.  It's just part of the business and comes with the territory.  

2 comments:

  1. Even more devastating has been my occasional experience where a client has called your office and you have provided an initial consultation. The client or potential client gives you these words: "I can afford to pay you and I want to go with you, can I mail you the payment tomorrow or later today?" Well, you get a call back and some unexpected, intervening act has just derailed what was about to be your rent, utilities, and overhead for the month. It has happened to me a few times.

    I've decided to cope with this by not taking it personal. Afterall, I have worked as a public defender before and I know there are clients out there who will not call their lawyer at all. That is, of course, until it's the last minute and you are expected to work miracles. I look at the bright side and appreciate that the client who I just lost had the civility and courtesy to call me back and be honest as opposed to stringing me along and dodging my attempts to find out exactly "what happened." At least the client that has canceled but called provides you with the immediate knowledge that "I must now make up for what just slipped through my grasp......"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the great comment.

    ReplyDelete