Monday, December 22, 2008

Deputy Clerks: Kindness is the Key

Last week I covered a hearing for a friend.  The overall goal was to get the court to release a multi-volume file so that my friend could prepare for another hearing later that week.  Getting the judge to sign off on the proposed order was cake.  Actually getting the file was - oddly enough - difficult to the point of absurdity.  Boring details aside, it seemed I was going to have to do a lot of running back and forth just to get each file.  But because I remained calm, pleasant and understanding, the clerks assisting me took care of all of the leg work.  This worked out great, as I struck up conversation with three other attorneys while I waited.  So being nice and polite to the clerks not only saved me time and effort, it gave me networking opportunities I would have otherwise missed.  

When I finally received the files, I asked the names of the clerks who helped me and thanked them.  Now, the next time I need  some help at the Clerk's Office, I know who to go to and can even ask for them by name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment