Friday, February 6, 2009

WAAP Chronicles listed on MyShingle.com

Those in the solo community likely have either heard of the name Carolyn Elefant or her well known blog, MyShingle.com.  Her blog site has been providing useful information and advice on starting a solo law practice for the past six years.  Recently, MyShingle.com ran a contest to celebrate its sixth year.  Entrants were asked to submit a post on either how they've made a difference practicing law or how technology has helped them serve their clients.  I went with the latter choice.  Here is the post as it originally appeared on Ms. Elefant's blog site.  

Without waxing philosophical about the cost saving advantages of technology, the thought behind my post was that the technology I use keeps my overhead very low.  This is important for two reasons.  First, it has allowed me to reinvest funds that otherwise would not have been available.  In this economy, that meant the difference between staying in business or selling off furniture and office supplies on Craigslist.  Second, with a lower overhead I'm are able to offer legal services to a larger segment of the population, rather than just cater to folks who can afford to litigate (cringe) just to prove a point.  As to the second point, many clients seem to appreciate that and I believe it helps set the stage for a long-term relationship and future business.  

So now I ask you, how has technology helped you build your practice? 

No comments:

Post a Comment